Wednesday, November 02, 2005

House Defeats Bill on Political Blogs

Personally, I don't give a damn about this troubling turn of events, but I'll tell you this -- I'll voice my political views whenever, and however, I see fit, whether it be on the Internet, or not. I personally see this as an affront to my 1st Amendment rights.

Actually, Yes -- I do care. I've fought in the Armed Forces of this country to defend these rights -- and I'd like to be able to exercise them should I see fit.

This makes me rather angry...

I can't wait to hear what the EFF and the CDT has to say on this matter.

An AP newswire article by Jill Abrams, via Yahoo! News, reports that:

Online political expression should not be exempt from campaign finance law, the House decided Wednesday as lawmakers warned that the Internet has opened up a new loophole for uncontrolled spending on elections.

The House voted 225-182 for a bill that would have excluded blogs, e-mails and other Internet communications from regulation by the Federal Election Commission. That was 47 votes short of the two-thirds majority needed under a procedure that limited debate time and allowed no amendments.

The vote in effect clears the way for the FEC to move ahead with court-mandated rule-making to govern political speech and campaign spending on the Internet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home