Thursday, November 17, 2005

WSIS Tunis: Buses, Toilets and Fear (Oh, My!)

This was good for a chuckle this morning. :-)

Kieran McCarthy writes about his odd experiences in Tunis this week in his blog. One of my favorite passages (The Hose of Death):

Now I know that the tradition in many countries is, after a healthy bowel movement, to clean yourself with your hand and then wash your hand with water. I understand the logic and the culture behind. In fact, in an abstract sense, I even like the idea.

The trouble comes when you are confronted with this and no other option. Until today, the Tunisians had only catered for Western toilet-roll tastes in certain toilets in the conference centre. Up until today, I could have told you which ones, down to the cubicle, they were. Instead, in the more local versions, there is a hose attached to the wall with its own tap to clean yourself.

You're killing me. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home