Monday, January 16, 2006

Ben Edelman: Adware Affiliate Hall of Shame

Ben Edeleman writes in his blog about all things adware and spyware:

I've always had high hopes for affiliate marketing -- a great way for small web sites to cover their costs and make a reasonable return, by promoting well-known merchants relevant to their visitors. I stand by this optimism, in general. But after several years of watching this space, my expectations have fallen significantly. I've seen countless examples of "rogue" affiliates cheating their "partner" merchants. And I've seen plenty of underhanded practices from merchants too.

Popular wisdom says most "rogue" affiliates are small. The big guys have too much to lose by getting caught. So we can trust them to behave. Or can we?

Much more here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home