Monday, February 06, 2006

American Muslims Fear NSA Wiretapping

Keith Oppenheim writes on the CNN Anderson Cooper 360 blog:

When I got the assignment to cover Arab-American reaction to the Bush administration wiretapping revelations, I knew who to call.

Osama Siblani is the publisher of the Arab American News, a newspaper based in Dearborn, Michigan, with an online edition that's read around the world. For more than a decade, whenever I've contacted him, he's always given me an accurate picture of what's going on in metro Detroit's Arab community, one of the largest outside the Middle East.

Right off the bat, Siblani told me many Arab-Americans fear their government is listening to their phone conversations. In fact, he says he's quite sure his newspaper's phones are bugged. I asked him if he had any evidence. He said no. But since he regularly makes calls to contacts in Arab countries overseas, he reasoned that his newspaper would be a likely target for eavesdropping.

More here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home