Saturday, June 03, 2006

Austin Police Become RIAA Puppets

And this, after I warned you of the impending RIAA retardedness.

Via News8Austin.

Austin police seized thousands of counterfeit items after receiving a tip from the Recording Industry Association of America.

The department obtained a search warrant of the Tu Disco Latino store in East Austin on Tuesday. Officers found more than 4,500 counterfeit CDs, DVDs and Nike tennis shoes.

APD is working with the Travis County District Attorney’s Office to file charges against the business owner. Reproducing or selling counterfeit products is a third degree felony that is punishable with a fine of up to $250,000, up to five years in prison, or both.

More here.

1 Comments:

At Sun Jun 04, 07:23:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Going after college kids and grannies for downloading MP3s may be cheap shots. But as someone that makes a living developing content (software), I like to be paid for my work and I assume musicians feel the same. While the whole system could use some fixing up, I really don't have a problem with the worst copyright offenders getting stopped. I like being able to keep a roof over my head and my dogs fed. Without copyright, I'd have to be in another line of business to be able to do that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home