Tuesday, September 05, 2006

More Employers Using Credit Checks to Screen Applicants

Diane E. Lewis writes in The Boston Globe:

In the past, only banks and financial service companies routinely ran credit checks on potential employees. But employers in other sectors increasingly are including them in the screening process to assess applicants' honesty and integrity, traits not readily gleaned from a résumé.

US employers' use of credit checks increased 55 percent over the last five years, according to Spherion , a recruitment and staffing firm with offices around the country, including Massachusetts.

More here.

1 Comments:

At Fri Sep 29, 05:53:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. Lewis,
Thanks for you recent write on using credit checks to screen applicants. I have worked for a few companies that have done that and the ones that have I feel maybe had that right seeing how I was applying for a position that involved money.However, I have also worked ( or applied ) at a company that does the same and it has nothing to do with the job at all. This is where I object, sometimes in life...life happens, and thats just the facts of life. Like in my case right now for example. I was working 2 jobs,( not being able to obtain help from the common wealth state that I live in ) trying to keep my head above water taking care of a dying spouse and with no insurance you can imagine the debt not to include the other debt that followed behind it. This was not my fault or through no fault of my own, but I still did my best to pay and it was not good enough. Everytime someone checks your credit it causes your score to fall. So if you already have bad credit, and you need a new job and apply at 10 different companies, ewach time your score falls, and again through no fault of your own other than applying for a better paying job. I really think there needs to be some type of mandating of these rules of checking someones credit if it does not pertain to the job. Companies are setting themselves up for a big fall and really treading thin ice with this issue. I know lots of honest desent people who have encountered life and are very responsible and have credit just as bad as mine if not worse. This is really a sad state of affairs and to me a form of discrmination when you sit back and take a look at the big picture. Thanks for allowing me to post my view on this very real but senstive topic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home