Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Security Fix: Tracking the Password Thieves

Image source: The Washington Post


Brian Krebs writes on Security Fix:

The Washington Post today ran a story I wrote about an epidemic of data theft being fueled by password-stealing viruses and phishing attacks. In some ways, the story behind the reporting that went into the piece is just as interesting, so I'd like to share a few of those details.

I based the story in part on a cache of stolen data I found online (more on how I obtained it in a bit). The data was being compiled by a password-stealing virus that had infected many thousands of computers worldwide; the particular text file that I found included personal information on 3,221 victims scattered across all 50 U.S. states.

More here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home