Sunday, February 11, 2007

Verizon Baits and Tries to Switch

David S. Isenberg:

Verizon belongs in the Customer Service Hall of Shame. Or maybe its execs belong in jail . . . assuming using monopolistic market power coercively is illegal (IANAL) . . . for what happened to me yesterday.

Regular readers of isen.blog know that I have Verizon FIOS on one line, and Verizon DSL on a completely separate account on a second line. This is to preserve physical redundancy, as I laid out in my incredibly important (and unjustifiably unknown) essay, "Buy as Many Nines as You Need," the essay so ignored that BCR forgot to list it in its table of contents.

I got a bill insert offering DSL at $19.99 a month in my last Verizon phone bill. That very same phone bill charged me 37.95 for DSL. So I figured it'd be a simple matter to calling and switch to the lower price.

But when I got through to an agent, she transferred me to another agent whose only job was to upsell me to FIOS. When I told that agent I did not want FIOS, but simply wanted the $19.99 DSL, that agent, without a wasted word, transferred me to a third queue that announced, "We're sorry, all lines are full. Please hang up try your call again later." Click.

More here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home