Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Cingular to Shut Down TDMA, Analog Networks in 2008



Kelly Hill writes on RCR Wireless News:

Cingular Wireless L.L.C. plans to shut off both its TDMA and analog networks by 2008, chief executive officer Stan Sigman told attendees during a keynote address earlier this week at the TelecomNext conference.

Cingular spokesman Ritch Blasi noted that about 95 percent of Cingular’s traffic currently is over its GSM network and that the carrier has seen a natural transition of customers from TDMA to GSM since its acquisition of the former AT&T Wireless Services Inc. in 2004.

More here.

1 Comments:

At Wed Oct 04, 11:15:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a former ATT customer with a cell phone service now with Cingular. I had an old plan with ATT on the TDMA network. Cingular says that they are now phasing this out, and I have to switch to the GSM network. If I stay with the old plan, I will be charged an additional 4.99 a month until they shutdown the old network. I would then need to switch to a more expensive plan anyways. I think my plan should be grandfather in the new network with no additional charges. Is this legal?

Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home